We know. We know. We’re a cleaning company and it’s almost spring – so, of course, we’re going to be talking about SPRING CLEANING. But, let’s be honest, spring cleaning is important! It’s that one time of year that you really feel ready to refresh your home.
It’s too hot in the summer – and your house is probably filled with kids and your schedule packed with activities.
Back to school claims fall.
And winter is all about Christmas and getting cozy (and shopping, and parties, and short days that leave you feeling like there’s NO TIME to get anything done.)
Spring is your best friend when it comes to cleaning up your home. Everything is fresh and blooming and new – how can you NOT get excited about the possibilities!?
So, for those of you who are eager to get your annual spring-clean on, here’s a fun list of rarely talked about tips for refreshing your home.
And, for those of you who are fighting back eyerolls (and any reason to get started on your to-do list), maybe something from this spring cleaning list will pique your interest.
If not, you can always call us to do your spring cleaning for you.
11 Spring Cleaning Tips No One Talks About (But Should)
1. Clean your oven quickly (and naturally) with salt. Pour table salt over any messes or stains in a warm oven. After being heated for at least 10 minutes, let your oven cool and then wipe down. You can put table salt on spills as soon as they happen too to stop any smoking.
2. Use baking soda to freshen bed linens. Refresh your bed linens by washing with a simple mixture of baking soda and white vinegar, along with your regular laundry detergent. Wash on the hottest setting and enjoy better smelling, fresher feeling linens! You can also sprinkle baking soda on your pillows, leave for a few hours, and then vacuum off for a refreshed smell.
3. Use steam to clean your mattresses. You don’t have to buy brand new mattresses in order to feel like you have a fresh place to sleep. Spray your mattress, especially any stains, with white vinegar and then use a steam cleaner for a deep, spring-like refresh. Be sure your mattress is 100% dry before making your bed.
4. Take the time to wash your home’s vent covers. Dusting vent covers feel good, but they really need to be washed at least once a year. In other words, now’s the time. Remove your vent covers with a screwdriver and let them soak in the sink with warm water and soap. Dry completely and then replace (and then remember to dust weekly!)
5. Refresh your closets with cedar hang-ups. Closets can get that smell – now’s the time to take care of it. In addition to tidying and organizing your closets, you can purchase cedar hang-ups to make your closet smell like a fresh forest. Bonus: Cedar hang-ups keep moths and mice at bay.
6. Create an all-natural, all-purpose cleaner for every surface. The best go-to DIY cleaner uses ¾ cup water, ¾ cup rubbing alcohol, 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (try lemon or orange) and a squirt or two of dish soap. Just shake up in a spray bottle and get to work!
7. Freshen up your trash cans. Smells from your trash cans can linger. Take care of them by placing dryer sheets at the bottom of your trash cans to absorb spills and odors.
8. Clean your oven door (finally). The industry secret is to use a wet pumice stone, scrub your splatters and baked-on gunk, and then wipe clean with a fresh microfiber.
9. Take care of litter boxes in your home. In addition to cleaning your cat’s litter box every few months with warm, soapy water, you can sprinkle baking soda on top of the litter after every time you clean things up. This neutralizes odors (and who doesn’t want that?)
10. Clean your mirrors with zero streaks. Want streak-free mirrors that sparkle? Spray your microfiber cloths with hydrogen peroxide and then clean your mirrors.
11. Clean your ceiling fan, and keep it clean. Cover each blade with a pillowcase and use it to dust so that all of the dust falls into the pillowcase – not the floor.
Did a good job but want our teams to take your spring clean to the next level? Get in touch with us today and we’ll get your home cleaned by professionals – zero chemicals required.