The (slightly) cooler air in the morning reminds us that it’s back to school time. And even if school is still looking a little bit (or a lot) different for you this year, the idea of saying an official goodbye to summer can leave us all feeling a little bit blue. Thankfully, New Mexico is home to lots of amazing adventures to help your spirits stay lifted.
So before your schedules get too packed with school projects and extracurricular activities, here are some great short trips around the Albuquerque area to plan with your family.
1. Las Conchas: A super popular trail in the Jemez (especially with climbers), Las Conchas is a great place to spend the day (or weekend). With beautiful views and fresh streams, plan on taking up a picnic so that you can enjoy yourself for the entire day. Because it can get busy on the weekends, leave as early as you can to make sure you get a good parking spot close to the trails.
2. Bosque del Apache: Known as one of the best wildlife refuges in the world, Bosque del Apache is an incredible place to spend the day, especially if you enjoy birdwatching. Through September you can find lots of young birds, like quail, running along the paths, as well as hummingbirds and calliope. As the weather cools even more, you’ll start to see the cranes and geese, which bring in wildlife enthusiasts from all over the world.
3. Chaco Culture National Park: Located in northwestern New Mexico, Chaco Culture National Park is an amazing glimpse into our state’s rich history. Enjoy a guided tour or take your bike along the dirt trails to enjoy the massive Pueblo structures that were built between 850 and 1250 A.D. If you can stay overnight, sign up for a talk around the campfire or an educational (and beautiful) night sky program.
4. Jemez Hot Springs: Just an hour from Albuquerque, the Jemez Hot Springs are natural geothermal mineral water pools that are as relaxing as they are healing. Open on the weekends, you can reserve your time and enjoy either an hourly or full-day pass. With lots of great restaurants and places to stay close by, it’s easy to extend your trip to the Jemez for a full weekend!
5. Bosque Brewing: While there is no shortage of great breweries here in town, Bernalillo’s Bosque Brewing location is worth the short excursion from Albuquerque. With a great selection of beers on tap and killer views of the Sandias, spending the afternoon at Bosque is easy. And thanks to a delicious bar menu, you can plan lunch or dinner with the family right at Bosque.
So, even though back-to-school means saying goodbye to summer, there’s thankfully a lot we can do to enjoy the transition. (And, honestly, fall in New Mexico is probably the best season of all!)
Tag us on your weekend adventures on Instagram and Facebook using #claimyourweekend — we’d love to see what you’re up to around New Mexico!
About Sandia Green Clean
Sandia Green Clean’s top-of-the-line cleaning services allow you to get back time – something that very few parents feel like we have much of. Our expert trained teams know exactly how you want your home to look and feel, and they deliver every time. Read more about Sandia Green Clean at https://sandiagreenclean.com